IUHPFL is a demanding experience on every level: academic, personal, social, emotional and physical. Each program site has been intentionally selected to offer a well-rounded cultural experience. Participants learn to navigate their surroundings, communicating exclusively through their target languages and relying upon the encouragement and support of their program peers, instructors, and host families. IUHPFL is truly a life-changing experience that provides students with an opportunity to understand what it's like to live in another culture, while gaining lasting friendships and invaluable career skills.
IUHPFL is built on four distinct pillars: the Language Commitment (which is part of a comprehensive Honor Code), Academic Instruction, Community Engagement Activites, and the Host Family Experience. Together, these pillars create a well-rounded linguistic and cultural immersion experience. The synergy of these pillars makes IUHPFL one of the most unique study abroad programs in the country.
Read more about the IUHPFL Four Pillars.
Sports and Music While Abroad
Many prospective IUHPFL students are involved in extra-curricular activities, including sports and music. IUHPFL is set up to support students while they are abroad. Accepted IUHPFL students who are athletes or musicians are encouraged to include this in their acceptance materials and IUHPFL will work to accommodate. Any additional fees, however, must be covered by the student or guardian.
Music students have the option of bringing their instrument abroad or renting one onsite. For athletes, onsite instructors will work with host families and local gyms to integrate practice time with IUHPFL-related activities. Students are advised to discuss their summer plans with their coaches to ensure they receive training or practice guidelines.
Life-changing Summer Abroad
Be sure to check out the stories, blogs, photos, and videos provided through the links below in order to better understand IUHPFL through the eyes of its past participants and instructors.
It is impossible to quantify the impact of IUHPFL. Successful participants achieve language skills that far surpass those in a regular classroom setting. But this is just one program benefit. Students also gain considerable confidence and maturity while expanding their sense of the world and their place in it. They learn to navigate and communicate within another culture. They build friendships that last a lifetime. They truly immerse themselves and live the language.
According to testimonials from program alums and parents/guardians, in addition to data collected on the Indiana University Bloomington campus, the benefits of participating in IUHPFL are many and long-lasting.
- Typically, participants:
- make remarkable strides in their ability to understand and speak the target language, resulting in a very strong foundation toward further study and fluency
- test into the fifth semester of their target language in college, thereby saving a great deal of time and expense toward a minor or major in the language*
- receive college grants and scholarships
- Participants also gain:
- greater self-confidence, self-awareness, and independence
- zest for experiencing new languages and cultures
- desire to become part of a global community
- lifelong friendships with program peers and host family members
- increased appreciation and understanding of cultural differences and similarities.
*According to data collected pertaining to program alumni at Indiana University
IUHPFL is a good fit for students who:
- Desire to be highly proficient in their target languages
- Are eager for a 100% total language immersion experience
- Can demonstrate solid academic performance, especially in their world language classes
- Wish to integrate into a host family and a community in another country
- Have a willingness to adjust to new customs and habits
- Will show sincere adherence to the IUHPFL Honor Code