This is the time of year when the IU Honors Program in Foreign Languages (IUHPFL) begins to promote its total-immersion study-abroad programs for Indiana high school students.
Sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are studying French, German, and Spanish are invited to apply for the opportunity to spend about 6 weeks in the summer abroad – attending intensive classes, living with host families, and enjoying a variety of excursions and community-based activities.
As you may know, we cancelled our 2020 and 2021 summer programs due to the pandemic, but we were able to have a smaller, but successful program this summer (about half the students we usually have)! For summer 2023 we have the capacity for approximately 100 Spanish students in Spain, 70 French students in France, and 30 German students in Austria.
- General Information about IUHPFL
- IUHPFL Fact Sheet (2-Page PDF)
- IUHPFL Promotional Video (in English, 8 minutes)
- Student-Made Videos (in target languages, usually short in length)
- Alumni Video Project (in English, from alums years after their participation)
- Other Teacher Resources (flyers and ideas for promoting the program with your students)
- Please submit one Annual High School Update Form per school by September 30. This online form helps us update our database with pertinent information (particularly email addresses) from each high school in Indiana. It can be completed by any World Language Teacher (in the case of larger schools, the head of the world languages department should complete the form).
- Student Registration for Summer 2023 will open from 15th to Nov. 15th, 2022. The link to our registration form can be found on our website with other information about how to apply. Registrants who meet eligibility criteria will be sent a link to the application materials and will be able to begin work on their application as soon as they receive the link. We encourage students to register early, so they have plenty of time to complete the application dossier. The registration fee will again be waived for Summer 2023.
- Our Chinese and Japanese programs will sadly not be offered this year, but we hope to be able to relaunch the programs soon!
- Application and Selection: We rely on the thorough evaluation from teachers of student proficiency levels in the language, as well as their personal qualities, to help determine their readiness for IUHPFL. More information about the application process and deadlines can be found here:
- Financial Assistance: Awards from IUHPFL typically range between $250 and $1,500. We strongly advise all students interested in Summer 2023 to begin saving funds now and, if accepted into the program, to begin fundraising efforts once they receive their acceptance notifications in January. Fundraising ideas are available on here.
- Teacher Resources, Student Presentations, and Promotional Materials: We invite you to explore the many resources available on our website to share with your students, including student-made and promotional videos. If you have IUHPFL alumni at your school, please encourage them to do presentations about their IUHPFL experience to other language students! Teachers are also encouraged to post and share the promotional flyers available through our Teacher Resources.
- Regional Presentations & High School Visits: This year we will have a limited schedule of presentations in October. Regional presentations (held in the evening for students, parents, and teachers) will be held in Bloomington, South Bend, Indianapolis, and Evansville. There will also be an online presentation via Zoom for any student, parent, or teacher interested in learning about IUHPFL. Please look for updates soon!
It is no exaggeration to say that much of the success of IUHPFL during its 60-year history is due to the enthusiasm, dedication, and support of all the amazing teachers and other school personnel throughout Indiana. We THANK YOU for all you do for your students and our program. We very much look forward to working with you this year!