Students must meet each of the criteria below (at the time of application) to be eligible to participate in an IUHPFL program. The personal qualities that distinguish successful participants of IUHPFL include a profound desire to learn, intellectual curiosity, social maturity, a willingness to adjust to new customs and habits, and a sincere commitment to adhere to the Honor Code, a set of norms all students are required to follow.
- Attend an Indiana High School
- Be 15 to 18 years old
- Be a high school sophomore, junior, or senior
- Be in Level III (or higher) if studying French, German, and Spanish (or equivalent*)
- Be in Level II (or higher) if studying Chinese or Japanese (or equivalent*)
- Have the correct documentation to travel to the host country and return to the US
- Previous IUHPFL participants may also be eligible to apply for a program in a different language on a case-by-case basis
* Heritage Speakers and high school students taking language courses outside of their high school may also be eligible to apply
Exceptions to any of these criteria may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
For more detailed descriptions for each eligibility category see below: