Students must meet each of the criteria below to be eligible to participate in IUHPFL. The personal qualities that distinguish successful participants of IUHPFL include a profound desire to learn, intellectual curiosity, social maturity, a willingness to adjust to new customs and habits, and a sincere commitment to adhere to the IUHPFL Honor Code.
- Attend high school in Indiana
- Be a sophomore, junior, or senior
- Be 15 to 18 years old during the program dates
- Be in Level III (or higher) if studying French, German, and Spanish (or equivalent*)
- Be in Level II (or higher) if studying Chinese or Japanese (or equivalent*)
- Have the correct documentation to travel to the host country and return to the US
* Students taking language courses outside of their high school are also eligible to apply.
IUHPFL invites students with a wide range of proficiency levels to apply, including emerging, intermediate, and advanced speakers of the language. Heritage speakers are also welcome to apply. Previous IUHPFL participants may be eligible to apply for a program in a different language on a case-by-case basis.
If you have a question about whether or not a student is eligible to participate, please email email@example.com.
For more detailed descriptions for each eligibility category see below: