Answers to common questions about registration and application are provided here. If you need more information, please contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions
By completing the online registration process between September 15th and November 15th, students are letting us know that they are interested in applying for IUHPFL. Students are advised to register as early as possible in order to give themselves, their teachers, and their other appraisers plenty of time to complete the extensive IUHPFL Application.
There are two steps to registration:
- Online Registration Form (available on our homepage beginning September 15th)
- $25 Registration Fee Payment (waived for Summer 2024)
Based on the information in the Registration Form, IUHPFL staff determine if a student meets the eligibility requirements.
- Within two (2) business days, students will receive an email from the IUHPFL Office, letting them know whether or not they are eligible to apply.
- The message to eligible students will say, "IUHPFL Invitation to Apply" and will provide a link to their personal online Student Application Portal.
- Only students have access to their personal portals, because they alone are responsible for making sure their applications are completed on time.
- If the email message isn't received within two (2) business days, check spam folders, and then, if the message is still not found, email email@example.com.
The IUHPFL Application Dossier includes seven (7) components:
- Personal Application (Student Essay Questions)
- Parental Assessment
- World Language Teacher Appraisal
- Other Teacher Appraisal
- Non-Academic (Non-Relative) Adult Appraisal
- Office High School Transcript
- Writing Sample in Target Language
All components are due by early December, and the deadline is provided on the Student Checklist. Most components must be completed by someone other than the student, but it is the responsibility of the student to email a request to each person through the Student Application Portal and to ensure that all components are submitted by the December deadline. The application dossier isn't difficult to complete, but it does require time. It's best to get started early!
The $25 registration payment has been waived for Summer 2024.
Please review the step-by-step instructions on our Registration page. If you still experience issues with the registration process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with information about the error, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
In Parchment, choose "send to individual" or "send to email address" and then enter the email address for our office (email@example.com).
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the original appraiser and your request to replace them with a new appraiser. Once we delete the original request in the Student Portal, you will be able to enter a new appraisal request.
On the same day that IUHPFL sends the student an “Invitation to Apply” email, we send their world language teacher an email notifying them that their student has been invited to apply. The Writing Sample Worksheet is attached to that email. If your teacher can’t find that email in their inbox, let us know and we will resend it right away.
Students do not receive academic credit for participating in IUHPFL.
While abroad, students take courses in Grammar, Culture, Literature, Linguistics, and Communication with experienced instructors. However, IUHPFL participants are not officially enrolled at Indiana University or an international institution.
That being said, data collected at Indiana University Bloomington indicates that our alumni typically place into the 5th semester of their target language at IU, which saves them a great deal of time and expense toward a minor or major in the language.
Applicants are highly encouraged to submit all seven application components by the due date, however in rare circumstances, extensions for one or two components may be granted. An extension may be requested by emailing email@example.com. The email should include the reason the extension is needed and details for how/when the application component will be submitted.