Since its inception in 1962, IUHPFL has offered Indiana high school students not only a meaningful immersion experience in their foreign language and culture, but also the opportunity to experience life in another country and gain confidence, strength of character and a greater sense of self.
The IUHPFL office recognizes that Indiana's high school teachers are a key factor for the success of recruiting prospective IUHPFL participants. Teachers are also a key player in the student's successful submission of application and acceptance materials. We thank you for supporting our program throughout its fifty-year history. Whether you are new to the program or have been a loyal team member for years, we invite you to learn about us and what's new from year-to-year. Your knowledgeable support prepares your student(s) for the challenging journey the IUHPFL presents. If you are new to our program and site, please review the Qualifications for Participation first.
Agreement to Participate
Participating schools fill out the Agreement to Participate form which helps IUHPFL keep track of important phone numbers, school-specific coordinators and contact information of foreign language teachers. (A paper form can be provided, upon request.) Note: the completion of this form does not impact individual student applications.
Why IUHPFL is Different
- The IUHPFL Academic Focus
- The IUHPFL Honor Code includes the Language Commitment, a pledge to communicate exclusively in the foreign language while abroad, and the expectation to maintain the "Honor" in Honors Program, emphasizing that an IUHPFL student not only holds himself/herself accountable for upholding the Honor Code, but holds his/her peers accountable as well.
- The IUHPFL Host Family Experience
Limited Time Investment
IUHPFL realizes that high school teachers are extremely busy and has therefore attempted to streamline the time investment to a few hours per year. The majority of the work is done by the applying student. Teachers and counselors mostly take on the role of advisor, helping students and guardians find information and making sure students observe all due dates for applications and later acceptance materials. Language teachers are also asked to complete the following for each applicant:
- Foreign Language Teacher Appraisal - The applicant's current foreign language teacher provides a written appraisal (to be completed online) about the student's ability and readiness for a rigorous study abroad experience and total language immersion. The appraisal request comes in the form of an email that contains a link to the online form. The email is generated by the applicant via their IUHPFL Student Portal. Appraisals are due in early December.
- Writing Sample - Teachers are asked to administer the IUHPFL Writing Sample to students who have been invited to apply to the program. When a student registers for IUHPFL, their teacher will receive an email notifying them that the student has registered. The email will also contain instructions on how to administer the Writing Sample. When several students in a class or school are applying to IUHPFL, the Writing Sample exercise should be administered to the whole group. Writing Samples are due in early December.
Demanding Student Experience
IUHPFL offers a demanding experience on all levels:
- academic (class load and daily assignments)
- personal (overcoming fears, managing stress and anxiety)
- physical (jetlag, adjusting to a new schedule)
- social (interacting with a host family, the host culture and students from the group)
- emotional (the absence of the comforts of U.S. family and home)
Since the fall of 2008, IUHPFL has undergone many transformations. We encourage new as well as returning teachers to thoroughly browse our website to get a better understanding of the goals and objectives of the program.
High schools who have long supported IUHPFL are encouraged to participate in yet another program cycle. New schools may want to consider the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity they'd provide to their students. New schools who wish to gather more information about the program are encouraged to contact email@example.com.